Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Irrelevancy--coming to a campus near you--and soon!

In a speech covered by the Deseret News, David Wiley predicts that colleges and universities will be irrelevant by 2020.  

This goes a step farther than a paper I wrote for my MS in which I argued the reasons why online learning would radically change education, in short: digital natives for students, tax repulsion, incessant upgrading of job skills, and the destruction of informational hierarchy.  Wiley uses the sames premises to arrive at the conclusion that universities are becoming dinosaurs.  Why would a student go to a class on a campus, ivy-covered or not, to sit still in a lecture room with 30 or 300 others and listen to one person speak for an hour or more?  As a person who LIKES a good lecture, even I am beginning to find myself itching for connectivity during such events.

Wiley notes that the one thing that campuses still have a monopoly on is their degrees.  I'm predicting that won't last for long.  Look for Google to cobble together a degree program based on online classes from around the world.  A BA from the U of Google, anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment